Most people cannot spend their entire vacation seeing the sights or playing in the amusement arcades. Tours and shopping are almost inevitably the next thing on people’s agenda. People LOVE to shop! Wherever in the world it is – shopping is a fascinating pastime. Driven, perhaps by that little curio that must exist in the next store visited. What can you expect to find in the Niagara area? This post should give you some flavor of the region.
Which places to shop are best?
Whether you are staying on the American or Canadian side of the Niagara River there are plenty of places to go for that afternoon of shopping. We will review specific shopping locations in the future.
Please be aware the Niagara Square Mall closes early 2017.
Here are an Interesting Selection of places to shop:
- Fashion Outlets Niagara Falls USA. Discount factory outlet mall. Perhaps the best opportunity for a deal in the area.
- Outlet Collection at Niagara on the Lake, Canada. Canada’s latest fashion outlet mall. Does it rival the American store? Visit, and you be the judge.
- Canada One Factory Outlets, Niagara Falls Canada. Premium clothing outlet, on Lundy’s Lane. You should perhaps consider eating at one of the restaurants on “the Lane” at the same time.
- Walden Galleria, Buffalo, USA. The biggest shopping mall in the area. Macey’s and JC Penny are the two premium stores in this mall. This has a good food court
- The Pen Centre, St Catharines, Canada. Niagara’s largest indoor mall on the Canadian side of the river. Highly recommended to get a flavour of the region.
- Boulevard Mall, Amherst, USA. A cozy mid-sized mall. Contains Macy’s. Can be a relaxing place to shop.
- Seaway Mall, Welland, Canada. An interesting mall with lots of events through the course of the year.
- Clifton Hill, Niagara Falls, Canada. Don’t forget you can shop for souvenirs in the heart of the tourist district.
- Falls Avenue, Niagara Falls, Canada. Hosts Hard Rock Cafe, The Hershey chocolate world and being next to the border may be convenient for Duty Free shopping before heading to the USA.
- Niagara Falls Boulevard, Niagara Falls, USA. Many malls in this area, between the I190 and Military Road.
- Queen Street Shops, Niagara On the Lake, Canada. An excellent outdoor shopping experience. This area is full of boutiques, selling fashions, wine, souvenirs, and there is even a Christmas shop.
- Center Street, Lewiston, USA. Many boutique stores exist in this area.
- Lapennaco, Niagara Falls Canada. Liquidation super centre. This often has some great bargains.
- Burlington Plaza, Tonawanda, USA. Clothing and sports ware.
- Niagara Falls Farmers Market. Outdoors Farmers Market Open Saturdays 6am till noon.
- Goodman’s Farm Market, Niagara Falls, USA. Local produce, garden supplies and gifts
- The Farmers Market, St Catharines, Canada. Tues, Thurs, Sat 6am till 2pm.
- Welland Farmers Market, Welland, Canada. Open Saturdays 6am till noon.
This list is the primary malls and places of interest close to the falls in Western New York State and in Ontario. Aside from these major shopping centers are many boutiques and individual stores that offer delights at various times of the year.
This is a popular area for antiques with many shops in both Canada and the USA. Niagara on the Lake is a good place to start if this is your passion. There are many flea markets in the area.
Souvenir shopping is another favourite for visitors. The starting point here are at the various attraction around the area. For example the Table Rock visitor centre is a good starting point if you have just visited the Horseshoe Falls. To the north, along River Road is Souvenir City, always worth a visit.
If your passion is fishing and outdoor pursuits then there are plenty of stores to help. Many convenience stores in the area sell bait if fishing is your game.
Latest posts by Peter B. Giblett (see all)
- Gunpowder Smoke over Niagara’s Historical Fort George - April 4, 2017
- Pamper Yourself Just a Little: while in Niagara Falls - March 27, 2017
- Places to Visit: Picturesque Historic Lewiston - March 24, 2017